We use a lot of little softwares, some of them are usually cracked. In some cases we need professional software - that is a different case. The problem occurs when we use variety of softwares - they writes huge amount of windows registry values, prompts for updates every now and then, consumes lot of space in system partition and last of all- slows down your PC. There comes real the need for portable applications packages with a bunch of freeware and open sourced software all in one place. From graphics design to programming, office package to media player and even some games - many things are available.
LiberKey is one good solution for portable applications. Download LiberKey.exe from this link. Don’t try to download predefined packages from the site. But one might find that all programs from any package may not be useful. You can go for it but it will be wise to add the programs you want. Don’t worry; most of them are small in size. Install LiberKey in a different drive (like d: or e:) rather than the system partition ( c: ). Open the folder and run Liberkey application. On first run - it may prompt to update Liberkey itself if you are connected to online. Update it.
To add applications of your choice- go to liberkey.com and select Applications >> browse catalog from the sites menu. There is a list and descriptions of different portable software. There are nearly 300 apps to choose from and new softwares are added frequently.
1. Aimp - music and online radio player with great sound output
2. ImgBurn - quick and simple optical disc (CD / DVD) burner, image copier and maker
3. InfraRecorder - a disc burner, image maker and copier
4. 7zip - great file compression utility
5. GIMP - Full featured graphics/image editor like Photoshop (this is not picture viewer or manager)
6. Firefox / Chrome / Opera - web browsers (Firefox is great, Chrome is light)
7. Free Download Manager (FDM)- very good downloader including torrents
8. uTorrent - a tiny, powerful torrent client
9. Evenice / Foxit Reader - PDF reader
10. RevoUninstaller - advanced software uninstaller
11. CCleaner - windows registry, temporary files, privacy cleaner, disk wiper
12. HWInfo32 - shows details about your pc hardware and related information
13. VLC - popular video player supports a wide range of video formats
14. Notepad++ - very light and rich code editor
15. OpenOffice / LiberOffice - Free and open source Office Package
16. Pidgin - Instant Message (IM) client like Skype, yahoo messenger (you can add multiple accounts)
As mentioned earlier - there are lot of apps. Browse and read the descriptions, install what you want. Programs are installed in LiberKey folder where you installed it. This entire Liberkey folder can be copied to pen-drive or other removable drives. LiberKey itself is portable.
Accessing LiberKey applications- you can click LiberKey icon from status bar. Make LiberKey to run automatically when Windows starts. Click on "LiberKey Tools" from main app, click "configuration", click "Advanced" from the left and check "Start LiberKey at Windows Startup / Logon".
Under "User Interface" you can set keyboard shortcuts. Setting this up keyboard shortcut is a better way to quickly access LiberKey apps. There are many ways to customize LiberKey. Read the options and change as you like.
Another useful alternative is PortableApps. This is also very good with similar functionality.